~ This is Day 151 ~
I always try to make my own stocks if possible because stocks shouldn’t contain salt in them. Every store-bought stock contains salt or low-sodium levels and it’s better to add your own salt in your cooking process.
Makes 3-4 quarts.
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 1 large onion, cut into large chunks
- 2 carrots, peeled & cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 celery stalks, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 head fennel, cut into large chunks
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 2 TBS whole black peppercorns
- Parsley stems
- 1 head garlic, cut in half horizontally
In a 7.5 quart dutch oven, on medium-heat, sweat the onions, carrots, celery, and fennel with the olive oil for 5 minutes. Then add in the rest of the ingredients and sweat for another 2 minutes before filling the pot with cold water. Bring up to a boil and reduce to a simmer and reduce by half.
Strain and cool. If you’re not going to use it immediately, you can freeze it.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon Affiliate links. If you click on one and buy something, I receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. All opinions are my own.